52 Week Cooking Challenge
Week 3 – Make Healthy
Quick, Healthy, Florentine Flatbread Pizza
Week three of the 52 week cooking challenge and the theme is ‘Make Healthy’.
It’s the time of year when everyone is trying to be good, if they can. Consequently, it’s the time of year when people are getting cravings for comfort food.
Pizza is something that everyone loves. I think it’s because you can do anything to a pizza to suit your preferences. You can have thin and crispy, deep pan, you can stuff the crust (not the traditional Italian method I don’t think…) and you can use an infinite combination of toppings.
Fast food chains (that sound like Pominos and Tizza Hut) have trained us to believe that you can only have a fried meat, 6 cheese, deep pan, sausage-stuffed-crust monstrosity, but that is not the case. You can change it up what ever way you like.
One of my favourite pizzas is florentine pizza. Eggs, bacon, spinach, parmesan. Perfect. This is our quick, homemade version. Enjoy!
Ingredients (Serves 1):
For the Pizza:
- 1 shop-bought (sorry) flatbread. We went for one that rhymes with ‘varburtons’.
- 1 quarter tin of chopped tomatoes.
- 20g of light mozzarella.
- 20g of mild cheddar.
- 2 rashers of bacon.
- 1 egg.
- Handful of baby spinach.
- Some chopped Olives.
- Grated Parmesan and fresh basil to serve.
For the Pizza – Prep: 5mins…Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Firstly, we need to crisp up the flatbread base in the oven for 5 minutes at 180’C. This will stop the pizza going soggy later on when you add the chopped tomato.
- Once the pizza base has crisped up, take it out the oven and cover the base with the chopped tomato.
- Add the bacon, olives and spinach. Leave a space in the middle for the egg later on.
- Add the cheeses. A little goes a long way.
- Crack the egg into the well in the middle.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the egg has cooked to your liking.
- Take out the oven, grate over some Parmesan and tear over the basil (never chop – not sure why…it’s just one of those things people say. I think it’s so the leafs don’t brown as much…).
InstaScranUK Tip… Add anything you want! This has been a weekly household staple recently because it’s quick, easy and you can add whatever you want to it. You don’t have to have the egg, but that’s what makes a Florentine pizza.