52 Week Cooking Challenge
Week 4 – Chowder
Salmon, Haddock and Chili Chowder with homemade Green Olive bread.
Week four of the 52 week cooking challenge and the theme is ‘Chowder’.
If we are being brutally honest, the theme of chowder didn’t necessarily fill us with enthusiasm. When you think of chowder you think of an over-fishy broth, but after cooking this week’s dish, we couldn’t be more wrong.
Chowder is a type of soup or stew often prepared with milk or cream and thickened with broken crackers, crushed ship biscuit, or a roux. Variations of Chowder can be seafood or vegetable.
This week we were for a really creamy Salmon,
Ingredients (Serves 4):
For the Chowder
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 100g streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 600ml fish stock, made from 1 fish stock cube
- 225g new potato halved
- pinch mace
- 2 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 300ml milk
320g pack fish pie mix (salmon, haddock and smoked haddock)4 tbsp single creamsmall bunch parsley, choppedcrusty bread, to serve
For the Chowder – Prep: 15mins…Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, then add the onion and bacon. Cook for 8-10 mins until the onion is soft and the bacon is cooked.
- Stir in the flour, then cook for a further 2 mins.
- Pour in the fish stock and bring it up to a gentle simmer.
- Add the potatoes, cover, then simmer for 10-12 mins until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Add the mace, cayenne pepper and some seasoning, then stir in the milk.
- Tip the fish pie mix into the pan, gently simmer for 4 mins.
- Check the seasoning. You’ve already had bacon so don’t go crazy on the salt.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and serve with some crusty bread.
InstaScranUK Tip… You can add more fish if you wish; for us we didn’t use too much to suit our taste. You may want to add some shellfish just at the end for a couple of minutes to finish it off. We’ve also added quite a bit of chilli powder but you don’t need to. We just like it with a bit of a kick…